Thursday, August 5, 2010

Art: what a release

I think I have been so creatively blocked for like 6 months it has been very frustrating.

Not so long ago I came upon a tutorial for the male body, the female body, and the face.  It, I think, dramatically changed how I drew things and frankly thank god for it.

I have been on a huge art binge lately.  It feels so good to put the pencil on the paper and just go.
The thing I struggle with as an artist is my left and right brain.  I think with both.  It's difficult for me to remember that there are no limits in art, no rules.  I watched recently "Spirited Away" and I always forget what a masterpiece it is.  So beautiful and limitless.  It inspires the hell out of me.

I am actually kinda proud of my sketch book for the first time in my life.  Like someone could look through it and see my progression and I would be just fine.

I have been watching A LOT more anime recently.  With this surge of anime I have been able to pay attention to the styles and the little details which I have incorporated into my drawings. I see things now I totally glazed over before.  The most important being is, each character is unique and has a signature.  Fans can always identify this character from this signature.  Whether it's Goku's hair, Naruto's facial marks, Edward Elrics red coat/automail, to Hei's soulless eye's.  Everyone has something.

All I can say is: Art is like food, it fills my body with nutrients and life.

(Afterthought: I have also been writing a lot.  Makes me realize I have such a limited vocabulary.  And my grammar is atrocious! But to toot my own horn, I am pretty damn good at dialogue and story. But the mechanical details always screw me over.)

No comments:

Post a Comment