Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Thrice Concert + Thrice















Well of course we get to this moment where I just go on and on about Thrice.

First of all last thur I went to San Fran with my best friend Ana to see Thrice live, and we did.  Was it amazing? Yes.  The show was amazing.  The highlight? Them playing Image of the Invisible.

I'm wound pretty tight. I don't dance, I don't let loose.  However, at these Thrice concerts you would think I was a diff person.  I jump, I pump my fist, I shake my head, I scream and sing my little heart out.  I feel so alive and I don't care who see's because everyone else feels the same way.  The fan's while at times annoying, are all there for Thrice and I feel this sense of support and general like, idk, awesomeness radiate through the room.

Back to Thrice.

I first heard them in the video game Tony Hawk: American Wasteland.  It was image of the invisible.  I can't tell you how, but I felt an instant love for this song.  I searched ENDLESSLY for the song in the little music list in the game. Over like 90 songs.  So I looked them up and found Vheissu.  I listened to the 30 sec samples on amazon.  I thought, ok, it's ok.  But months later they had the whole album to listen to at the local Tower Records.  I listened to the whole thing and begged my father to buy it for me. I listened to it constantly, trying my best to love it, it was so beautiful, I was too ignorant to understand it.  Then it hit me "Wow. This is music."  It became my favorite album, and still is to this day.

Vhiessu is a spiritual journey of sound and word.  Almost indescribable to me.  I have never heard such passion for anything my whole life. Layers. Shredding guitar. Heavy. Melodic.  Masterpiece.  If they had added the song the Flags of Dawn I think it would have completed the whole thing no question. I would stick it between "Of Dust and Nations" and "Stand and Feel Your Worth."

Next I got the album Artist in the Ambulance.  Such a shock!!!  It wasn't the deep melodic layered conquest I had known and loved, but a far cry from it.  It was a heavy rock/punk/pop/scream your head off album.  So I liked it, I was ok with it. It had to grow on me.  Then later after my first Thrice concert, I just loved the album for it's energy and vibe.

Next was The Alchemy Index.  Wow where to begin!!! With so much hype there was a tiny bit of let down on my end.  I think It was a bit too literal but brilliant none the less.  The fire album is made to me performed live.  Water is VERY sleepy.  Beautiful but sleepy.  Air was interesting because it was less literal, but I wish they would have made some songs that sounded like a storm. Air is still a mixed bag of awesome with the only let down really being "As the Crow flies" (which is still a sweet song).  Then Earth.  Earth was my favorite for the longest time.  I listened to "Come All you Weary" too many times.  I wish it had sounded a bit closer to Dustin's solo work but then it wouldn't be Thrice.

Then Beggars, probably their most popular release since Artist in the Ambulance.  Beggars sounds very indie while still having a distinct sound (though at times a bit too much like Brand New).  This record has groove, distortion, and some cool textures.  I don't know why but I am still struggling to absolutely adore this album.  It has amazing writing, but I miss the layers and melodic tones. Everything sounds too live for me.  Like it had a low production value at times.  But that is sort of what they were going for.  But lemme just say, this album is still really good.  Who doesn't just love "Beggars"? Best song on the album. I struggle with the overwhelming negativity from this album though.  The b-sides however I like more than most of the songs that made it on the album.

Only recently have I been trying to get into their older punk stuff.  Not bad, some is a bit too much, but others are pretty frickin awesome.

So what does Thrice mean to me.  More than most things.  I can't think of many other things I have such a passion for.  Their music just speaks to me on another field. It sort of spiritual actually.  I am not a religious person, in fact I would call myself an agnostic, but their music makes me feel close to "god".  I have teared up many times listening to some songs.  I feel so in the moment, like something moves through me.  This is why I love Vheissu so much, it's a positive spiritual record without being all preachy.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I love that there are still Thrice fans. I definitely fell in love with them the opposite direction though. The Illusion of Safety will always be my favourite album of all time. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrice is amazing ;) no matter what CD.

    ReplyDelete