Wednesday, April 7, 2010

All things go, all things go

"I've made a lot of mistakes in my mind, in my mind."

Oh Sufjan Stevens, how you are able to sing about my life without ever having met me. I was listening to the amazing song "Chicago" and had one of my many life altering revelations from music.  See, not a lot inspires me in this world.  Only the most mundane, musical, and childish can spark my mind.  When I heard Mr. Sufjan Stevens sing-


"If I was crying, in the van with my friend,
it was for freedom,
from myself and from the land.
I've made a lot of mistakes..."

     I realized something about myself, I realized my greatest weakness.  Myself.  The only person to hold me back my whole life was myself.  There is a saying that goes "you are your own worse enemy" and I don't think people think about this fact enough.  I have many reasons to hold myself back (in my mind).  From a low self esteem to my constant worry about how I am seen.  I'm not a vain person but I am egotistical (in my mind).  I was brought up by a worried mother, leading to a worrisome child.  Say something like driving for instance.  I'm a darn good driver if I say so myself, but when in a slightly unfamiliar setting I cannot help but panic.  What happens if I get lost? What street? What exit?  I admire those who throw caution to the wind, those fools.  Those who do road trips with their friends and live to tell a story to their kids.  I will have nothing.
     Sometimes I find it hard to look people in the eye's, something about looking into someones eye's is very intimate, a level i'm not totally comfortable with.  This is not for any other reason than the moments of getting lost in their eye's makes me feel totally naked.  No barrier.  It's a truthfulness that cannot be compared.  I think when I have fully committed to someones eye's thats when I trust them fully.  Unfortunately, the eye's can play tricks on you.

Though I find these kind of things endearing.  You might find it odd and alarming.

My greatest accomplishment one day will be when I am free from my own slavery, when I can shake the shackles from my wrists and legs.


1 comment:

  1. Well, I sent a long comment on your post, but either you have to approve it first, or I was a dummy and let it time out before I hit 'post comment.' So, if this comment goes through immediately, I know it was the latter. There are some thoughts that I share with this post, but I'm a little worn out from my lengthy response the first time around. Suffice to say that I'll probably talk to you about it soon enough.

    ReplyDelete